Joubert Syndrome Conference 2015

This past summer, I went to my first ever Joubert Syndrome conference in Chicago. I was so excited to be invited and more importantly I spoke at the conference. My friend and I spoke about growing up with Joubert Syndrome, the high's and low's that can be associated with the genetic disorder. After we each spoke, we joined our parents for a Q&A session from the audience. That segment was so good. A lot of people said they were truly inspired  from our presentations and we empowered them. That meant a lot to me, I can't say that for my friend though . After the Q&A session, more people came to me to tell me that they were inspired from my presentation, alone. Overall, the night was a humungous success. The conference was a big eye opener for me, what I mean by this is I always have read articles about people who got diagnosed with Joubert Syndrome who have severe complications but to see them in person with those severe complications is bittersweet. It's bittersweet because they are really struggling with their complications but on the other hand they aren't allowing their complications to hinder their daily tasks. This makes me joyful. After the conference, I stayed in contact with some people and one of those people called me tonight. He's a eleven year old boy and he looks up to me. It makes me feel so good that people look up to me to inspire and encourage them. Be good role models in this world so others can follow your positive habits.   

Comments

  1. Hi friend (haha). The reaction from people after our presentations, especially the kids and other adults, meant a lot to me as well. Was great to finally meet you in person, your family too. Also, that's great about the young guy getting in touch with you. (Pretty sure I know who, and good for him!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life

Respecting & Includement

Don't let others/things to dictate on how to live your life